Thursday, September 21, 2006

Calif. Sues 6 Automakers

I saw an article posted by Reuters that the state of California has filed a global warming lawsuit against Ford, GM, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, and Nissan seeking to hold the manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions. The complaint states that under the automakers have created a public nuisance by producing "millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide" under both federal and state common law.

In some respects, I cannot believe it, and in others, I was anticipating some state to do it. Who better than California to pull such a move?

How should the automakers respond?

First, from an emotional standpoint, I would automatically revoke all of my franchises in the state. Second, I would shutter all facilities in the state. Finally, I would substantially up the price of the autos going to California.

Practically, I would implead California as a defendant too. Why? They set emission standards within the state as well as the carbon in the fuel. If the autos meet these standards and the emission's levels are still too high, then is it not the standard's fault and thus the States?

It is very sad that governments are using taxpayer money to attack corporations that pay their citizens and pay taxes into the government.

No comments: